legalizations and C of Os

It happens... Homeowners may have unwittingly constructed home renovation projects without obtaining the needed approvals from their local Municipality. Most people are often unaware that a building permit was required for smaller jobs such as basements, bathrooms, decks, sheds and even fences. You may have performed the work on your own, with a contractor, or inherited the issue from the previous owner upon purchasing your home. Regardless, if you are about to sell or re-finance your home, or worried about leaving the problem to your family, you will need a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O).

What is a C of O and why do I need one?

A Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) certifies the legal use and/or occupancy of a dwelling or building. In some cases, this requires updating the structure to meet the current code.

Dimovski Architecture understands the urgency of these situations and works closely with many homeowners, real estate brokers, attorneys, and Building Departments to ensure the homeowner meets their obligations. In the case of a home sale – that they can meet a preset closing date.

These issues may be frustrating and challenging to handle and take time/expertise to resolve. Rest easy knowing that all issues outlined can be resolved by our staff.